I'm baaaack! Did you miss me? ;) Well, get ready. I've got lots of blogs coming!
Our trip started Wednesday night, with our flight leaving at 9:10 out of Long Beach. It was my first red eye and didn't really know what to expect; I hoped to sleep on the plane, but assumed I wouldn't. Well, I sorta slept and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. We landed at 4:45am local time, 1:45am CA time. It took us about an hour and a half to get to our aunts house, via the JFK airtain, 2 subways, and a bus. It only cost us $7.25, which is A LOT better than the $60 a cab would have been! It probably would have only saved us a half hour anyway, so it was definitely a good choice. We stopped to get a bagel on our way, and got to our aunt's apartment at about 7:45am. We visited with her for a little bit but started our day almost right away. I think we were out the door by 8:30.
Our first destination was Rockefeller Center. On the way there from where the bus dropped us off, we passed by the Trump Tower. We went inside to get Starbucks because it was cold and we need some caffeine and sugar to get us through the day, but the line was super long {as is every Starbucks it turns out, even though there is one on almost every block} and we didn't want to wait in line so we decided we didn't need the caffeine that bad. But they had a really pretty Christmas tree :)
When we got to Rockefeller Center, we got tickets at Radio City Music Hall for the Rockette's, because that was the one show we really really wanted to see and we wanted to make sure we were able to get tickets.
Luckily we got tickets for the 5pm show that day, which was our first choice. Once we got our tickets, we went to see the tree. We both were surprised at how small the tree was. I watched the tree lighting ceremony 2 weeks ago and on TV the tree looks really big. It's not really that big!
After that we went to the Top of the Rock. When I talked to my aunt a couple days before we left, she told me that it's better than the Empire State Building. What I loved about it was you had a great view of Central Park and of the Empire State Building. I had been up the Empire State Building the last time I was there 9 years ago, but it was a cloudy day and since it's down town a little more, I don't think it has as great of a view of Central Park.
The few clouds just made it all so picturesque.
From Rockefeller Center, we walked to Times Square.
We had lunch at a sandwhich shop in Time Square, after we charged our dying phones at AT&T next door :) From Times Square we walked to Bryant Park. Citibank had something going on and was giving out free apple cider and bags.
From what our uncle said, Citibank maintains the park in exchange for some advertising at the park.
From Bryant park we headed over to the Empire State Building. We actually walked right passed it going to Macy's, not realizing it was there until we were walking back from Macy's. It's such a huge building, the direction we were coming from you couldn't tell that it was right under our nose.
We didn't go up because we had already done Top of the Rock. From there we walked to Grand Central Station.
There are 100 plus tracks and SO many people!
From Grand Central Station, we walked to the Chrysler Building.
By that time we needed to head back to Rockefeller Center to meet our aunt for the Rockette's. It worked out perfectly because she wanted to see it and was actually supposed to see it the day before with a friend but it didn't work out. What a great show it was! They didn't have any of the cheap seats left {for any of the shows, even the next few days} but it worked out because our seats were great!
Well worth the extra money. On our way out we got a good view of the Christmas tree lit up :)
After the show we walked into Tiffany's. Oh the diamonds! They had a floor just for engagement rings. I could have spent hours in there just browsing and dreaming! After Tiffany's we took the bus back the apartment. It was a long day and Jen and I were beat!
No comments:
Post a Comment