We had a great trip! I think the amount of time we were gone was perfect. By Sunday we were ready to go home. Although I already want to go back! I'd like to go in the spring or summer...who wants to go with me? :)
Here are my random thoughts of the trip:
- Red eye is the only way to go! Even though I didn't get good sleep on the plane, I was fine the next day and I think it forces you to get on their time quicker.
- We stayed with our great aunt {dad's dad's sister}. I learned a lot about my grandpa and her childhood that I didn't know. I really enjoyed it :)
- The subways are crowded!! I would say 75% of the time it was standing room only and you were crunched up next to your neighbor. Same with the buses. This wasn't even the worst:
- There is seriously a Starbucks every couple blocks. A total of 171 are on Manhattan. I <3 their Peppermint Hot Chocolate.
- Manhattan is 13.4 miles long and 2.3 miles wide. Central park is 2 miles long and 1/2 mile wide.
- Pedestrians don't wait for the 'walk' sign. If there are no cars coming, you walk. Even with a cop sitting right there.
- My hands and feet were swollen the entire trip. Jen's wedding ring doesn't normally fit my thumb and it fit my ring finger just fine. At night and in the morning I'd lay on the floor with my feet up against the bed to help.
- Our aunt and uncle live on the border of Yorkville and the Upper East Side. Nice neighborhood, with a doorman! :) View from the corner (same view they have from their balcony on the 9th floor)
- I <3 JetBlue. Direct TV the whole way :)
- The apartment was REALLY warm. The superintendent has control of the temperature, so you have to open windows if it gets too warm. I wore a tank top instead of a long sleeve shirt and no socks to sleep. I only used the flat sheet and I was fine.
- All the stores are super warm too. It's tricky because it's cold outside so you layer, and then when you go inside and sweat. They sure could save a ton of money on their heating if they had it even a couple degrees cooler {if not more!}.
- We had absolutely beautiful weather. The warmest day was probably Friday, it was about 50 degrees. Sunday in Central Park was the coldest at 36 degrees. Honestly I wore so many layers I wasn't ever really cold. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. When we had our first rain of the season in early November I started praying that it wouldn't rain while we were there. Our prayers were answered! When I looked the week before it was supposed to rain Saturday and Sunday. Then a couple days before we left it was supposed to rain all day Thursday. God answered our prayers because the only rain we got were a few drops Friday night at Union Square but it wasn't even enough to put a hood on. It literally was {maybe} 5 drops.
- Their Christmas tree lots are on the sidewalk.
- I wrote the majority of all 5 blogs on my phone on the flight home. Saved them all as email drafts and sent them to myself once I got Internet. Gotta love technology!
- {Jen's} Siri was not very helpful. She had trouble finding our location.
- I <3 my camera. As big and bulky as it is, it takes some great pictures. I tested out using the different settings and I'm learning to not use the flash. My goal {one day} is to be able to know what the setting should be depending on the amount of light, without as many over or under exposed pictures. I'm getting closer but not quite there. It's a fun learning process.
- Totally saw the moon from the plane almost the entire flight. Very cool!
- If you want to look at all the pictures I took, click here. Even though I took 543 pictures, there are a lot of pictures I wish I would have taken. I was being lazy at the time and I regret it now. Oh well, lesson learned for next time. More is better! Thank goodness for digital cameras though. Could you imagine how expensive it would have been to buy film and have it developed? I wouldn't have taken that many pictures, that's for sure!
No comments:
Post a Comment