Sunday, April 28, 2013

Chocolate Brownie Cake.

Elijah's birthday is Tuesday and we celebrated with the fam today. Jen asked me to make something chocolaty for dessert, and I was so excited to make this cake. Brownie in a cake? Yes, please! The real name of it is Ultimate Death by Chocolate Brownie Cake. But while I am now a lover of chocolate, I am more a lover of this butter cream frosting than chocolate frosting. So I decided to use vanilla instead of chocolate {hence no need for any dying...at least by chocolate. Sugar? That's a whole other story}.

When I baked the brownie, a heart appeared in the cracks :) Kinda fun.






























I have a confession to make: this is the first round/layered cake I've ever made {as in I had to buy round cake pans because we didn't have any}. We've always been a cupcake or glass dish type of cake baking family. Remember this? That's why. I'm a perfectionist and want things to look nice. But, thanks to Pinterest, I was able to get some tips on how to frost a cake the right way {and avoid all the crumbs in the frosting}.

Let me just say: it wasn't nearly as difficult as I imagined! I did the crumb layer of the frosting and had no issues. I took the cake over to Jen's yesterday afternoon because I didn't want it sitting in my car while I was at church today. They weren't home, and this is how I left it.






























An hour later, I got this picture from Aaron.
















She sure was asking for it ;) Lucky for her {and everyone else}, it was intact when I got there today. It would have been tragic if we didn't have a host cake for the party!

We sang to the birthday boy.


















Then it was time to cut the cake...just look at the inside. Mmmmmm!

























Let me tell you: it was even better than it looks! So chocolaty and delicious, and worth all the effort put into it.

Happy Birthday, Elijah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment