Disclaimer: If you have not seen this movie or read the book and don't want the ending of either spoiled, don't read this post.
I have been waiting to see this movie for months. Channing Tatum? Heck, yeah! Rachel McAdams? Yes, please! When I realized it was a book, I picked it up immediately and read it in a day {it's a short read}. What I didn't know, was that it was non fiction. The book was the real story, told by the husband.
I have read many books that have been turned into movies. Usually the movies aren't exactly like the books, but they're close enough. Same characters, same plot lines, ect. Not the case with The Vow. The only similarity is the fact that there was a car accident that resulted in memory loss. Now, I know you're thinking, 'That's a pretty big part'. I would normally agree with you, but not this time.
The movie is called 'The Vow'. Wouldn't you think that the movie would be about keeping the vow they made? While that was the attempt, they broke the vow by getting a divorce. Is that not totally contradictive of the title? First off, that's not what happened in real life. Changing this one thing makes the whole story insignificant. People get divorced all the time, what's so special about them? Second, a title with such promise {pun intended} carries a lot of expectations, and if it's not going to reach those expectations, CHANGE THE TITLE.
Don't fret too much though, they do end up together at the end. And even more importantly, although she never regained her memory, the real couple weathered the storm. They're married today and have 2 kids. They love the Lord and have devoted their story to bring Him glory. Now that's a vow to keep!

No comments:
Post a Comment