Monday, February 27, 2012

Knee Effusion.

I went to the beach a few weeks ago with Marianne and the kiddies to roller blade. It was one of those beautiful winter days (75 at the beach!) and we wanted to take advantage. We had a great time, and there were no significant incidences that should have resulted in injury. Or so I thought....

Throughout the next day (Sunday) I noticed my left knee was a little tight. It wasn't painful, it just didn't bend quite as easily as it usually did, and when I did bend it, it felt sore. It wasn't enough to keep me from doing anything I would normally do, so I just let it be. It started to feel better and then on Thursday it started bothering me again. When I woke up to more discomfort on Saturday morning (exactly a week after we went rollerblading), I figured out the pattern: excessive activity made it worse. On Wednesday I had gone for a long walk. On Friday night I did a lot of standing. That's when I took a better look at it and noticed it was swollen.




















I started icing it and asked people's opinions and decided to just keep an eye on it.

And so the next 2 weeks went. It was fine for a few days, then I would do too much of something, and it would start bothering me again {which is why I didn't go snowboarding last weekend :( }. After 2 1/2 weeks, I decided to call the doctor and make an appointment to make sure I wasn't dying everything was okay.

I thought for sure that I would get a referral and then need an MRI. Not the case {which is a good thing}! I went this morning and I have knee effusion, which occurs when excess fluid accumulates in or around the knee joint. There's not a whole lot you can do about it, but I was given an exercise to do to help. I wasn't told to stay off it, but I guess for it to heal I should. We'll see how that goes, I really love walks with my sissy...

1 comment:

  1. I meant to ask you about your appt! Glad to know you're not going to die :) And let's walk soon since we haven't in, oh i dunno, forever!

    ReplyDelete