Monday, March 5, 2012

The Master Cleanse, Final Edition.

Yes, I know what day it is. It's day 5. Not day 7. I decided to go off the cleanse, 2 1/2 days early. Well, 5 1/2 days early actually because I considered doing the full 10 days. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought. More on that later.

I started to get a cold right as I started the cleanse. I hadn't actually had a full blown cold in a while and I thought it wouldn't amount to anything. Well, I was wrong. Saturday I was okay, but not great. Yesterday I had a fever pretty much all day. Today I woke up feeling a little better, but still not great. I went to the doctor this morning and had a strep throat test done, because I had been exposed, and the results came back negative {which is great, but I don't doubt that the sample was taken incorrectly}.

So, the cleanse. As I said, it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I really think the thing that helped was that I was mentally prepared for it. I knew what I wanted out of it and I wouldn't let my mind go to places it shouldn't {like, say for instance, how delicious cookies, cupcakes, and brownies are!}. Other than being sick {which I feel is completely unrelated to the cleanse}, I felt fine. I even considered doing the full 10 days. I decided to go off because I felt that I had benefited from the cleanse already and didn't want to take it too far since I'm tyring to get over whatever it is that I have. I probably could have stayed on it and been fine, I just didn't want to take it to the extreme. I want to be smart about it, for my health.

On a separate, but similar note, I watched Forks Over Knives today. My doctor was telling me about it this morning and it's along the same lines as Food, Inc. It's a documentary on a whole food plant based diet and has really convinced me that I need to cut back dairy in my diet. Not only because I think I could be lactose intolerant, but for the research done that shows the links it has to cancer. I'm not cutting it out completely though, I love cheese too much to do that! Just trying to limit...we'll see how that goes ;)

After 4 1/2 days, I feel I accomplished what I set out to do, and I don't see stopping early as a failure. I feel better and I'm mentally, physically, and spiritually prepared to enter back into better eating habits. Wish me luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment