Then we rode down the boardwalk and back again and packed up. Everything was fine until we got onto the 22 and I looked in my passenger side mirror and saw that the back wheel of Amy's bike was spinning and it hadn't done that before. Saying that got Amy looking back and her exact words were "Uh...where are my handle bars? Where is my bike?" I looked back and said "Uh...they're there, but lower than they should be." Her bike was still on there, so I started to pull over, and Amy said it was fine and just to get off at the next exit (Glassell) and go to the park. Well I was in the shoulder lane and we heard something and I stopped just as the exit started. We got out and what happened was the extender bar had come loose and her bike had started to fall down (which was our fault btw. Before we left, Amy said it looked like it hadn't latched but I looked at it (though obviously not close enough) and said it looked like it was. And in my defense, the little ball-y thing that's supposed to pop up to latch did look like it was up). Man we lucked out big time! Though her bike wasn't on the rack on one side, there wasn't any damage to her bike, the rack, or the car. It must have just happened, because I think if we would have gone further, bad things could have happened. At this point, I think we're convinced to just take side streets to the beach from now on!
Saturday, September 18, 2010
Adventures in Biking, Part 2.
Amy and I went to the beach today to ride our bikes. We were a little more comfortable with the bikes and bike rack, but still not totally fine. I don't think I will ever be. I seriously get sick to my stomach looking at them in the rear view mirror (no joke)! Getting down there was fine and we were able to get them off easy. As we started our ride, we could see the waves from the boardwalk so we parked our bikes and walked on the pier. The waves were pretty big for Newport. They really were bigger than they look in this picture...


Then we rode down the boardwalk and back again and packed up. Everything was fine until we got onto the 22 and I looked in my passenger side mirror and saw that the back wheel of Amy's bike was spinning and it hadn't done that before. Saying that got Amy looking back and her exact words were "Uh...where are my handle bars? Where is my bike?" I looked back and said "Uh...they're there, but lower than they should be." Her bike was still on there, so I started to pull over, and Amy said it was fine and just to get off at the next exit (Glassell) and go to the park. Well I was in the shoulder lane and we heard something and I stopped just as the exit started. We got out and what happened was the extender bar had come loose and her bike had started to fall down (which was our fault btw. Before we left, Amy said it looked like it hadn't latched but I looked at it (though obviously not close enough) and said it looked like it was. And in my defense, the little ball-y thing that's supposed to pop up to latch did look like it was up). Man we lucked out big time! Though her bike wasn't on the rack on one side, there wasn't any damage to her bike, the rack, or the car. It must have just happened, because I think if we would have gone further, bad things could have happened. At this point, I think we're convinced to just take side streets to the beach from now on!
Then we rode down the boardwalk and back again and packed up. Everything was fine until we got onto the 22 and I looked in my passenger side mirror and saw that the back wheel of Amy's bike was spinning and it hadn't done that before. Saying that got Amy looking back and her exact words were "Uh...where are my handle bars? Where is my bike?" I looked back and said "Uh...they're there, but lower than they should be." Her bike was still on there, so I started to pull over, and Amy said it was fine and just to get off at the next exit (Glassell) and go to the park. Well I was in the shoulder lane and we heard something and I stopped just as the exit started. We got out and what happened was the extender bar had come loose and her bike had started to fall down (which was our fault btw. Before we left, Amy said it looked like it hadn't latched but I looked at it (though obviously not close enough) and said it looked like it was. And in my defense, the little ball-y thing that's supposed to pop up to latch did look like it was up). Man we lucked out big time! Though her bike wasn't on the rack on one side, there wasn't any damage to her bike, the rack, or the car. It must have just happened, because I think if we would have gone further, bad things could have happened. At this point, I think we're convinced to just take side streets to the beach from now on!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment