Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring Training.

A couple months ago, Amy told me she had a Friday off in March and wanted to know if I was interested in going to Arizona to see the Angels in Spring Training. Since I'm all for traveling anywhere and everywhere, I said yes of course! Our friend Steph came too, and we left Friday afternoon around 1 (our original plan was to leave in the morning, but Amy had to do CPR training in the morning. I guess her day off wasn't really a day off!). I was going to drive originally, but I didn't really want to take my car, so when Amy mentioned that she would be okay driving, I jumped at the chance to opt out of my assumed responsibility (which is major progress for the control freak in me!). I was more than happy in the back :)

We stayed at Steph's grandparent's house, and we got there around 7 our time (8 Arizona time). We had a fun night talking with Gaugs and Pops, listening to stories of Amy and Steph when they were young (Amy and Steph aren't related, but since they grew up across the street from each other, they're like sisters; each other's family is their own).

Saturday we were up way too early for any day of the week, let alone a Saturday (7am our time, 8am AZ time). Gaugs made breakfast for everyone, and we sat around all morning talking some more (or should I say Amy talked all morning. Steph and I just sat a listened for the most part, like the night before. I think Amy talked more this weekend than I will all year. No joke!). We left the house a little after 12 to head out to the stadium, which is about 35 minutes away from their house. The game was a lot of fun, despite the fact that the Angels lost.

After the game, we were going to take Gaugs and Pops out to dinner as a thank you for letting us stay with them, but we were too slow with the check (by like 1/8 of a second!) and instead, they treated us. We tried really hard to get it back, but Pops wouldn't budge! After dinner, they took us around their retirement community (Sun City Grand), which is so awesome. There are pools (inside and out), a gym, indoor walking/running track, conference rooms, and activity rooms which include pottery, stained glass, sewing, and more. I mean seriously, you can't get bored out there! When we got back home, Amy, Steph, and I went to CVS and printed a picture of us at the game (above) and put it in a frame and gave it to them since they were stinkers at dinner :) After that we went on a walk around their neighborhood (just the 3 of us). Steph insisted on taking Pops' walking stick to protect her in case we saw any coyotes (which we didn't).

Then, of course, there was more talking with Gaugs and Pops (for Amy that is!).

This morning we got up even earlier than yesterday (6:45am) and were on the road at 7:30am because Steph had to get home for her game at 2. We got home at 1, and I have been quite productive for how tired I am. Laundry (including my sheets), cleaned my room and the bathroom, went to the gym and then on a walk with my sis and sicky niece. I'm now getting ready to crawl into bed and crash! We had a super fun time and we want to go back to see Gaugs and Pops (and maybe swim in their resort like pool :)

Side note: We got to adjust to DLS a day early since Arizona doesn't change time. In the winter they're an hour ahead and in the summer they're the same time as us. Kinda cool it worked out that way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment